Last month I attended a talk put on by the Book Promotion Forum on transmedia storytelling. As Reid Mihalk, a “sex and relationship role model,” put it, “Leaving a comment on a blog isn’t enough anymore.” Here are 15 ways you can use transmedia storytelling to expand your story’s audience, followed by a list of 25 different media you can use to tell stories.
15 Ways to Engage Your Audience
1. Design smart phone and tablet apps to engage younger readers in your story.
2. Turn a mystery book into an online scavenger hunt.
3. Create YouTube videos about your characters.
4. Be a curator of content. People will follow you to stay up-to-date on a topic.
5. Get news coverage by helping others.
6. Serialize your fiction. Serial fiction is making a comeback.
7. Join Facebook and Google+ groups related to your topic.
8. Help your community find you (Reid wears Sex Geek T-shirts).
9. Give stuff away for free. People will then pay to have all that information in one handy dandy place.
10. Get readers invested in your project through a Kickstarter campaign.
11. Give a percentage of your proceeds to a charity.
12. Read Trust Me, I’m Lying by Ryan Holiday.
13. Ask questions. Get people to participate.
14. Treat people who email you like gold. They may become that true fan who tells everyone about your book.
15. Remember that transmedia isn’t about being goofy. It’s about being aspirational and inspirational.
Una Guía para Autores deTransmedia